Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 08 - 3D

Class Format

Content delivery was thinner than usual this week. As the pressure builds toward the end of semester, the entries here will also become thinner.

Group Exercise


Concept Realisation

  • Materials
    - Nylon Spandex, elastic, pens, pencils, paint
  • Tools
    - Sewing machine (and accessories - scissors, thread, etc.), printer, software
  • Equipment
    - Computer equipment, cameras, helmet, plinth, mannequin
Discuss your choice of the above as a group – give reasons.
The concept for the most part dictated the materials, tools and equipment employed in the project. Research and experimentation informed the process.


Research

Video


I thought this was very cleverly done. From Design Taxi via a Youtube channel Bauman Ber Rivnay who seems to work for Satchi & Satchi Isreal ("The Lovemarks Company" - of which there is a reference to near the end of the video). The link rabbit hole on this one left me a little confused at first. The video, while categorised on Youtube as 'Educational' and in fact coming across as that for the most part in its content, is in fact an element of the company's own 'integrated advertising' strategy.

 

Images

My logo in physical form. This was constructed from 30mm square pine wood. The tricky part was cutting a 63.2 degree angle with a drop saw. I needed to use the drop saw to keep the sections consistently square and most do not cut angles greater than 45 degrees. The solution was to cut a 26.8 degree piece which was then fixed to the target section at a right angle and used as a guide. The sections were then joined with internal blind nails and glue. Further work will include painting and finishing to a high gloss. The piece will then be photographed in various situations for inclusion in other branding materials like the business card and flyer. The object will also be a part of the exhibition.

 

Reflection

For the most what I do creatively is driven by the intent. I have a fairly wide skill set and materials experience, which affords me an equally wide range of solutions to my creative questions. The reasons why I chose to work with wood for the Myatt Media logo were both practical and conceptual. I have a good working knowledge of how to work with wood, the materials (wood, glue & nails) and the tools (drop saw, drill, builders square & iphone running a protractor application). These represent the practical reasons for the choice. Conceptually I wanted the object to have a sense of of strength and solidity, while maintaining a certain warmth. 

1 comment:

Mark Hilton said...

Superb work here - clearly your efforts pay off.

Post a Comment