Monday, September 17, 2012

Week 09 - 2D

Class Format

Todays class was about producing a range of design alternatives. These were developed from the exhibition invitation that we have been working on for the past two weeks.

 

Group Exercise

Concept Realisation

Sketch in your Visual Diary or Illustrator.
  1. Clear rendition of 3 invitation / flyer layouts using YOUR exhibition logo & text 
  2. The design must have space for sponsor logos 
  3. CDU logo must be on the bottom right – check branding rules 
Each student post the group results in your blog with images and descriptive text.

This was my first first design and probably the strongest and most engaging. Bold colour draws the eye and the title and tag have a strong connection with the image
This was the second design. The idea here was to just provide a new title and tag. I am not fond of the text at all.
This is the third design. Still using the same image while stripping it down to black and white. I actually prefer this. I am also liking the colour variation below.

 

Research

Video

This video accompanies the image below, please see below for source links. I included it because it contains an image that I would have preferred to put below but could not find a static representation of. Look out for the graffiti themed version of "The Walk of Progress' at 51 seconds. I probably could have stopped the video there and just taken a screen grab for the image below, but it is not often that an article comes along that fill both the video and image categories of this blog.

 

Images

This just appealed to me and came in via My Modern Met from Maentis. A variety of interpretations of the 'Walk of Progress' inspired by the Darwinian theory of evolution. It fits with the general topic for this week in that the project is about producing design alternatives based on a theme. They had an interesting site, although the scrolling was a little jerky in my preferred browser, Safari. Just checked it Chrome and it was fine. I like the 'Piss us off' link which opens a new email.

 

Reflection

Creating design alternatives is obviously something which needs to be built into the creative process of the designer. I believe this should occur throughout as having a back up plan just makes sense to me. Ideas are fragile however and as such I find it good practice to edit them as I would an image in Photoshop; non-destructively. An idea then becomes layered as iterations are separated and an entirely new idea requires a new document. This mode of thinking allows me to revisit original ideas when particular evolved threads are deemed to be not working.
About the image above. I don't think the evolutionary steps turning man into a pigeon where necessary, just having the apple would have been enough to complete the visual pun of marketing evolution for me. The pigeon represents the mindless flock and the silhouette of a sheep would have been better suited to that role. The creation of a mindless flock is also implied by the word 'marketing' as its very purpose is to create mass appeal which can remove the notion of choice from the mind of the consumer. Marketing does not mass appeal to mindless flocks, it creates mindless flocks with mass appeal. I love you marketing, you evil bastard!

1 comment:

Mark Hilton said...

good design - good research - good blog

Post a Comment