Class Format
The class format here was turned upside down in that the Practical (individual) was followed by the Exercise (group). The purpose of this is to show that the design process works in both ways simultaneously. The blind rating system featured this week based on the visceral responses of our peers to predetermined criteria was a surprise.
Group Exercise
Practical - Design Perspectives
Based on your favourite 3D design, draft and label 2 variations in your blog- Design 01: Design in a style that appeals to a community sports group
- Design 02: Design in a style that appeals to a fashion label
- Draft in your blog with hand drawings and notes
- Give each work a NAME and DESCRIPTION (max 50 words)
The purpose of this practical was to take a current design that we have been working on and think about it from a different perspective. By doing this the design is forced forward through other design alternatives. In effect kick starting the creative process. This is followed by a similar rating system as given in the group exercise for 2D. I was not fond of this process as while I am sure it may occur in some form in the real world, I am also sure that it does not occur devoid of any actual critical discourse. Given the time restraint this worked as a kind of origination pressure test as well as the purpose outlined above.
Exercise - Changing Perspectives
Using a scale of 1 – 10, each group assigns a quantitative rating for all the designs, based on the criteria below;
- Accuracy in addressing the brief.
- Cherill 9, Queenie ?, June ?, Katelyn ?, Andre ?. - Immediate visual appeal.
- Cherill 7, Queenie ?, June ?, Katelyn ?, Andre ?. - Cross generational appeal.
- Cherill 7, Queenie ?, June ?, Katelyn ?, Andre ?. - Artistic depth.
- Cherill 8, Queenie ?, June ?, Katelyn ?, Andre ?.
With limited time we were instructed to complete this task in our own time. The process employed here was to apply quantitative results to subjective criteria. As per the task requirement - I give myself a 6 for item 4.
Research
Video
Insert video and comment
Images
Reflection
While I was not a big fan of the blind rating system, I will be looking at (and possibly collating) the results. The inversion of the class format was a clever way to show the movement of influence as occurring in both directions and I am sure this will be elaborated on later.



1 comment:
Top work again. Good reflection and observations, plus a ton of hard work from your group. Guess who gets a gold star?
Post a Comment